FOLLOW US
Masters Home Inspections LLC.
10 Golden Eagle Ct.
Westminster, Maryland 21158
443-277-6279
COPYRIGHT 2015 MASTERS HOME INSPECTIONS
We find the details
that matter to you.
WHAT IS CARBON MONOXIDE?

Carbon monoxide, or CO, is an odorless, colorless gas that can cause sudden illness and death.

WHERE IS CO FOUND?

CO is found in combustion fumes, such as those produced by cars and trucks and small gasoline
engines, stoves, lanterns, burning charcoal or wood, gas ranges and heating systems. CO from
these sources can be built up or semi- enclosed spaces. People and animals in these spaces can
be poisoned by breathing it.


WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS OF CO POISONING?

The most common symptoms of CO poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea,
vomiting, chest pain, and confusion. High levels of CO inhalation can cause loss of consciousness
and death. Unless suspected, CO poisoning can be difficult to diagnose because the symptoms
mimic illnesses. People who are sleeping can dies from CO poisoning before eve experiencing
symptoms.


WHO IS AT RISK OF CO POISONING?

All people and animals are at risk for CO poisoning. Certain groups - unborn babies, infants and
people with chronic heart disease, anemia, or respiratory problems- are more susceptible to its
effects. Each year, more than 400 Americans die from unintentional CO poisoning, more than 20,000
visit the emergency room and more than 4,00 are hospitalized due to CO poisoning. Fatality is
highest among Americans 65 and older.

HOW CAN I PREVENT CO POISONING FROM MY HOME APPLIANCES?

Have your heating system, water heater and any other gas, oil, or coal burning appliances serviced by
a qualified technician every year.

Don not use portable flameless chemical heaters (catalytic) indoors. Although these heaters don't
have a flame, they burn gas and can cause CO to build up inside your home, cabin, or camper.

If you smell an odor from your gas refrigerator's cooling unit have an expert service it. An odor from the
cooling unit of your gas refrigerator can mean you have a defect in the cooling unit. It could also be
giving off CO.

When purchasing gas equipment, buy only equipment carrying the seal of a national testing agency,
such as the CSA Group External site icon.

Install a battery-operated or battery backup CO detector in your home and check or replace the battery
when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall.

HOW DO I VENT MY GAS APPLIANCES PROPERLY?

All Gas appliances must be vented so that CO will not build up in your home.

Never burn anything in a stove or fireplace that isn't vented.

Have your chimney checked or cleaned every year. Chimneys can be blocked by debris. This can
cause CO to build up inside your home.

Never patch a vent pipe with tape, gum, or something else. This kind of patch can make CO build up
in your home.

Horizontal vent pipes to fuel appliances should not be perfectly level. Indoor vent pipes should go up
slightly at they go toward outdoors. This helps prevent CO or other gases from leaking if the joints or
pipes aren't fitted tightly.

HOW CAN I HEAT MY HOUSE SAFELY WHEN THE POWER IS OUT?

Never use a gas range or oven for heating. Using a gas range or oven for heating can cause a build-
up of CO inside your home.

Never use a charcoal grill or a barbecue grill indoors. Using a grill indoors will cause a build up of CO
inside your home.

Never burn charcoal indoors. Burning charcoal - red, gray, black, or white - gives off CO.

Never use a portable gas camp stove indoors. Suing a gas camp stove indoors can cause CO to
build up inside your home.

Never use a generator inside your home, basement, or garage or near a window, door, or vent.

HOW CAN I TEST FOR CO?


During your home inspection, the inspector can strategically place CO test strips in areas that could
be problematic. This may include: Gas appliances, fireplaces, HVAC equipment and vents.

Additionally, we will survey your home with an industrial 4 gas meter which measures CO levels,
explosive gas levels, oxygen levels and the presence of hydrogen sulfide (sewer gas). Talk with your
inspector about this service.

WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU FIND CO LEVELS IN MY HOUSE?

If Co levels are found to be high during the inspection, immediate action may be required. Fixing the
issue is the key to preventing an emergency and should be done by a certified or licensed
professional.